Stream Team Monitoring Program
Become a volunteer and join our email list to stay up-to-date on our programs, events, and action alerts.
About our company
Stream Team monitoring program is a collaboration between the Alliance for Aquatic Resource Monitoring (ALLARM), our organization and the Middle Susquehanna Riverkeeper Association Stream Team aims to engage volunteers in Pennsylvania to collect scientific data of known quality that can inform local approaches for improving watershed health. We are looking for volunteer teams to contribute to this informative and enjoyable effort.
Our citizen scientists are currently analyzing temperature, pH, conductivity, and nitrate/nitrogen in many tributaries in the Lower Susquehanna Watershed. We have over 85 volunteers monitoring over 50 sites in York, Cumberland, Dauphin and Lancaster Counties. We will try to expand into other counties in 2021 given the current state of the pandemic.
What does a Stream Team volunteer look like?
- A group of people interested in monitoring the health of local streams
- Conducts monthly data collection (2-5 hours per month for one year)
- Participates in a macroinvertebrate workshop (once a year)
- Maintains equipment and follows protocols as outlined in the monitoring manual
- Completes the data sheets and submits to ALLARM
- Participates in Quality Control and follow-up meetings
- Stays in communication with ALLARM and other team members
- Wants to have fun!
Why is the Stream Team program important?
- Stream monitoring is a vital tool in assessing the health of the Susquehanna & Potomac watersheds and reviewing the progress of the Chesapeake Bay pollution blueprint
- This program collects credible scientific data that can be used to make decisions about improving watersheds.
How will collected data be used?
- To establish a baseline understanding of local stream health
- To help inform potential follow-up decisions
- Results will be shared at the local level
- Data will be uploaded to the Chesapeake Data Explorer regional database
Join the Stream Team monitoring program
Enter your information below to join the program, receive updates on upcoming events, and action alerts.